4K_SECTORS_LIMIT / partial writes problems

mail at adrianschmutzler.de mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Sun Aug 2 08:44:48 EDT 2020

Hi,

when discussing support for Mikrotik devices, I have repeatedly been made aware of a 4K_SECTORS_LIMIT / partial writes problem that seems to have been introduced in 4.17, so from our view with kernel 4.19 after the 19.07 release.

This seems to be a general problem, discussed here:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3094#issuecomment-667557585
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3103#issuecomment-663894347

In the latter thread, the author tried to further investigate the issue, and finally came up with an RFC pull request here:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/3271

My understanding of that issue is only superficial, I'd be quite happy if somebody could provide some feedback there, as this might be a release blocker for 20.xx as it appears to me.

Best

Adrian