[OpenWrt-Devel] Possible security issue

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Sat Apr 18 22:22:01 EDT 2020

I'm sorry for wading into this. As with any security related discussion
strawpeople can be made to support any particular thread pulling into
infinity.

Would I love to see namespaces used as part of the base Openwrt
architecture; absolutely. It's been discussed in the past; routing in
particular would benefit immensely from this ; use of different routing
table ID's is a step towards that, but complications like passing device
id's in and out of namespaces however for the switch side of things is
problematic and adds additional overhead as will it introduce issues at the
expense of separation and flexibility.

That potentially could mitigate some of your concerns, but I feel the
preposition for me is openwrt is not multi-user by default OOTB for most
(if not all) targets; and if you want it to be you can.

So fiddling inode bitmasks is not addressing anything IMNSHO because of
that fact.