[OpenWrt-Devel] Is it possible to create two images for the same device with a different set of DEVICE_PACKAGES?

Sven Roederer devel-sven at geroedel.de
Fri Apr 10 12:09:47 EDT 2020

Am Dienstag, 7. April 2020, 16:22:37 CEST schrieb Hannu Nyman:
> I do not think that there is a nice clean solution, as I do not remember
> seeing a solution of different packages for iniramfs, factory and sysupgrade
> images.
>
> I would approach that with a two-step build process, using two .config
> recipes:
>
> * First a build with a smaller .config recipe without that large Quantenna
> firmware. This creates the initramfs image, (which you copy to a safe place
> before the second build)
>
> * Then a second build from a recipe including the Quantenna firmware. No
> need to do "make clean", so the second build is rather quick. That produces
> the full sysupgrade image.
>
> In your build automation scripts, those two builds could be run
> consequtively, with a copy step between them.

For our Freifunk-build we do a similar 2-step thing

* using a .config having all pacakges added modular and only the packages
for the initrd set to "y" to have them embedded
* doing a normal build produces the initrds and the imagebuilder
* with the imagebuilder we generate the final sysupgrade images with the
full package-set

The generated initrds are just a luci-mod-failsafe wich allows flashing the
sysupgrade via browser and of course console.

Sven