[OpenWrt-Devel] New target IPQ8074 / Asus-ax89x(u)

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Sat Apr 4 19:57:11 EDT 2020

So update on the rt-ax89x;

I have successfully managed to compile using the ASUSwrt build chain and
load a usable firmware (well if you can call asuswrt usable; it's horrific
when it comes to how service construct flow is setup, i can't believe the
junk being shipped on otherwise nice platforms...)

I have also figured out the debrick procedure ; uboot on the device DOES
accept tftp in recovery mode. Have added notes to the wiki; reposted here:

Method:

   1. Setup interface on Host PC with ip 192.168.50.75/24 (not the Router
   will ONLY accept tftp put over this IP) ; $ip a a 192.168.50.75/24 dev
   <NICDEV>
   2. The HostNIC and recovery is performed ONLY over the 1G WAN port NIC
   (this is the 'blue') NIC port next to the 10G Copper port.
   3. Find valid recovery .trx
   4. Run tftp to 192.168.50.1 ; $tftp 192.168.50.1
   5. Unplug DC barrel jack whilst holding down the reset switch with a
   pointy thing
   6. Leave Power Button Depressed(on)
   7. Replug DC barrel jack whilst still holding reset switch with a pointy
   thing ; release after first LED indication
   8. Power LED will flash slowly
   9. Use TFTP client to put target firmware in bin mode; set trace to show
   progess; $tftp>trace ; $tftp>bin; $tftp>put <validfile>.trx
   10. Trace will show transfer ; wait for router to reboot.

-Joel