[OpenWrt-Devel] nftables: named counters broken on 18.06.4

Salvatore Mesoraca salvatore at samknows.com
Tue Sep 10 11:20:06 EDT 2019

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with nftables' named counters with OpenWrt
18.06.4 on a NetGear R7800.
This is an example of what I get:

# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 4.14.131 #0 SMP Thu Jun 27 12:18:52 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
# nft flush ruleset
# nft add table inet filter
# nft add counter inet filter mycounter
# nft add chain inet filter output { type filter hook output priority 0 \; }
# nft add rule inet filter output counter name mycounter
Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
add rule inet filter output counter name mycounter
# nft list ruleset
table inet filter {
        counter mycounter {
                packets 0 bytes 0
        }

        chain output {
                type filter hook output priority 0; policy accept;
        }
}

Running the failing command using strace I can tell that the ENOENT error
is received from the kernel via Netlink.
It's similar to what I get if I try to reference a non-existent counter,
but "mycounter" exists.
If I remove "name mycounter" from the command line, it works. Of course it
creates an anonymous counter.
The message sent via Netlink looks correct, so I think that the problem
resides in kernel.

On a PC with 4.15 the same command sequence works flawlessly:

# nft flush ruleset
# nft add table inet filter
# nft add counter inet filter mycounter
# nft add chain inet filter output { type filter hook output priority 0 \; }
# nft add rule inet filter output counter name mycounter
# nft list ruleset
table inet filter {
        counter mycounter {
                packets 0 bytes 0
        }

        chain output {
                type filter hook output priority 0; policy accept;
                counter name "mycounter"
        }
}

Any ideas?