[OpenWrt-Devel] v5.4 as next kernel

Adrian Schmutzler mail at adrianschmutzler.de
Wed Oct 30 12:29:21 EDT 2019

Hi,

1. We currently have work-in-progress 4.19 support PRs for ramips, ipq806x and bcm63xx, still with considerable work to do at least for the first two (IIRC). Without in-depth knowledge, I wonder whether it wouldn't be more efficient to skip 4.19 for those and go directly to 5.4 (less backporting etc., but also more adjustments of local stuff).
2. Obviously, starting with 5.4 now will cause a mixed-kernel-release-or-not debate in early 2020. So, when moving to 5.4 we should already ask ourselves this question early in the process. (Which obviously also depends on the decision on subject 1.) I personally favor to not have a mixed kernel release, but as I'm commenting from the side my voice shouldn't count much in that process.
3. Since stable branches are typically made 3-6 months after when they have been set, I wouldn't care too much about a 3 month delay in estimated release date. :-)

Just wanted to add those thoughts to the discussion, sorry for not providing answers ;-)

Best

Adrian