[OpenWrt-Devel] improved handling of contributions [Was: Re: patches from 2018]

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Oct 28 12:13:26 EDT 2019

Petr Štetiar <ynezz at true.cz> writes:

>> 2. Those where there never was any feedback
>> However, I do not think it's fair to just close an old submission without
>> any developer (or others people's) feedback (category 2), just because
>> nobody is interested in it.
>
> And whats the point to keep them lingering on the GH forever?

I wondered the same. Keeping it it open forever will not produce ore
feedback.  Closing is a signal to the submitter that they need to
re-open, and most likely rework the submission to attract more
attention.  Or try something else..

Keeping PRs open forever doesn't help anyone.

Allowing 6 months without any feedback or comment is pushing it far
enough IMHO.  You could have said 3 months if you wanted. There won't be
any feedback between 3 and 6 months if there wasn't any between 0 and 3
months.

> My feeling is,
> that people are simply afraid to reject the PRs so they simply ignore them,
> but in the end, net result is the same.

Maybe.  But there is probably other reasons too.  Some subjects are very
specialized without any experts available for review.  Some PRs might be
too complex and mixing too many things without any of the reviewers
considering it to be mainly their area of expertise.  Etc.

Closing is good anyway.  It should provoke some action from the
submitter, in case they still care.

Some of the problem is obviously lack of reviewer time, like for most
open source projects.  But neither keeping PRs open nor whining about
the problem will help.  The only viable solution is that the submitter
takes a second look at it and sees if there is something they can do to
ease the reviewers job.

Bjørn