[OpenWrt-Devel] Running k3s on OpenWrt

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Thu Nov 28 11:32:08 EST 2019

Hi Yousong,

> A few months ago, I started working on bringing up k3s on OpenWrt.  I
> managed to have a small k8s cluster with nodes running centos and
> openwrt.  Likely other linux distros will also do, but I didn't test
> combination of different architectures yet.
Cool! That looks like an interesting project to make OpenWrt even more
attractive for "the cloud".
> K3s is on its own a k8s distribution.  It provides a single packaged
> binary for amd64, arm64, armhf.  If I understand it right, the binary
> is supposed to be as userland-dependency-free as possible, with
> dependencies only on the kernel.
>
> One thing worth noting is that the openwrt package is NOT official,
> neither from OpenWrt nor k3s upstream project.  It packages binary
> executables distributed by k3s upstream project which is generally
> frowned upon if sources are available.
It looks like Go code, have you tried to compile it via the build
system? There are other packages like syncthing which already make use
of it, maybe you can use it as an inspiration. Overall I'd like to see
this package as part of packages.git and maybe can help out if you're
stumbling.
> The other thing is that k3s (or k8s) requires quite a few kernel
> features to run, some of them only available as builtin (compared to
> kmod).  This means you will likely to build your own image to use it.
> The required features as of k3s 1.0.0 are recorded as well and
> available as a default off config symbol CONFIG_k3s_KERNEL [2]

I know nothing about sunix, but the other three targets appear mostly
space "indipendent". Maybe these could be enabled by default? I think
pretty much the same kernel options are required for LXD, docker and
related things.

x86_64, aarch64, sunxi, armvirt

     select KERNEL_CGROUPS
     select KERNEL_KEYS
     select KERNEL_MEMCG
     select KERNEL_NAMESPACES
     select KERNEL_SECCOMP
     select KERNEL_SECCOMP_FILTER
     select KERNEL_X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION if x86_64

>   [1] https://github.com/yousong/waller/tree/master/k3s
>   [2] https://github.com/yousong/waller/blob/c3ee00451ce12e869277bbd73b08652882c52010/k3s/Makefile#L69-L79

Best,
Paul