[OpenWrt-Devel] [PATCH 0/7] SELinux support: core OpenWrt changes
thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Nov 22 04:55:34 EST 2019
This patch series is one part of the changes needed to bring minimal
SELinux support to OpenWrt. SELinux is a mandatory access control
Linux security module, which I assume most if not all OpenWrt users
are already familiar with. The work presented in these patch series
presents a minimal integration, in the sense that it allows to:
(1) Build all the important SELinux components, both on the build
system (for example to compile a SELinux policy) and on the
target system (libselinux, policy management tools, etc.)
(2) Set the SELinux security contexts on the files in the filesystem
image generated by OpenWrt.
(3) Compile the SELinux policy on the build machine, and integrate
the compiled SELinux policy in the target filesystem.
(4) Load at boot time the SELinux policy and enable it.
The provided SELinux policy is the default SELinux policy from the
upstream project: it has not been tuned specifically for OpenWrt.
There are two patch series for this work:
- One for OpenWrt itself (this patch series)
- One for the OpenWrt packages feed
This patch series brings the following changes:
- Allow to build Busybox with SELinux support, mainly to get -Z
option support in several commands. This requires linking against
libselinux, which is provided in the packages feeds as part of the
second patch series.
- Addition of minimal SELinux support in procd, to load the SELinux
policy at boot time. The patch has been submitted separately to
procd, and is being discussed.
- Addition of the fakeroot tool, which we need when generating the
filesystem image to run the SELinux command "setfiles" that sets
the appropriate security context for the files in the
filesystem. It obviously requires root access, which is why it is
executed under fakeroot.
- Addition of support for generating a SquashFS image with the
SELinux security contexts defined. It could be extended to other
filesystem formats of course.
- Add some logic to be able to enable SquashFS extended attribute
support in the kernel configuration, as well as SELinux support.
- Enable extended attribute support in mksquashfs.
OpenWrt packages feed changes
This patch series brings new packages for the different user-space
components of SELinux and their dependencies:
- libselinux, including its Python bindings
These are pretty regular packages.
I'm looking forward to the feedback of the OpenWrt community on this
Thomas Petazzoni (7):
package/utils/busybox: add optional selinux support
package/system/procd: add SELinux support
tools/fakeroot: new tool
include/image.mk: implement SELinux squashfs image generation
config/Config-kernel.in: add option to enable squashfs xattr support
config/Config-kernel.in: add various options needed for SELinux
tools/squashfs4: enable xattr support
config/Config-kernel.in | 15 +++
include/image.mk | 15 ++-
package/system/procd/Makefile | 5 +-
...inimal-SELinux-policy-loading-suppor.patch | 110 ++++++++++++++++++
package/utils/busybox/Makefile | 7 +-
tools/Makefile | 2 +-
tools/fakeroot/Makefile | 20 ++++
tools/squashfskit4/Makefile | 2 +-
8 files changed, 169 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 package/system/procd/patches/0001-initd-init-add-minimal-SELinux-policy-loading-suppor.patch
create mode 100644 tools/fakeroot/Makefile
openwrt-devel mailing list
openwrt-devel at lists.openwrt.org
More information about the openwrt-devel