[OpenWrt-Devel] RFC: add metadata to buildroot

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Wed May 15 05:36:32 EDT 2019

Paul Spooren <mail at aparcar.org> [2019-05-14 17:32:20]:

> Glad you like it, my main goal would be to motivate device porters to
> deliver a uniform yaml file when requesting to add a new device. Do you see
> this as a possibility once a reasonable yaml template is created?

Well, I see no problem to merge it once it's in acceptable state and nobody
has explicitly NACKed it. We could simply start with opt-in (bonus points if
you include such YAML file along with the support for a new device) and once
the dust settles we could start talking about it as somehow more or less
mandatory requirement.

If by a template you mean some kind of schema, then yes. I think, that some
kind of schema is needed in order to have some tools which would help with
writing of properly formatted YAML files, validation during review etc.

It would be nice if we could possibly avoid reinventing the wheel and could
somehow (re)use ongoing DT dt-schema[1] effort:

"Devicetree bindings are written using json-schema vocabulary. Schema files are
 written in a JSON compatible subset of YAML. YAML is used instead of JSON as
 it considered more human readable and has some advantages such as allowing
 comments (Prefixed with '#')."[2]

1. https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema
2. https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/writing-schema.md

-- ynezz