[OpenWrt-Devel] ath10k-ct issues - IBSS mode

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Mar 26 14:39:11 EDT 2019

On 3/26/19 6:59 AM, Koen Vandeputte wrote:

> On 26.03.19 14:50, Ben Greear wrote:
>>

>> On 03/26/2019 03:09 AM, Koen Vandeputte wrote:
>>> Hi Ben,
>>> Following our conversation from yesterday, here is a summary of all issues seen so far:
>>>
>>> Test setup:
>>>
>>> - Board: Mikrotik RB922
>>> - Hardware used: on-board QCA9882 (QCA988x),  Wave1  2x2 .ac
>>> - firmware's tested: both non-HTT and HTT flavours for qca988x
>>>
>>> Synopsis:
>>> - Setting the interface in IBSS mode results in following errors and spamming
>>> - Speed is very low (100 kbit/s) upon linking 2 devices in HT20, long GI
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Do you see those SWBA overrun messages on both systems, or just one of them?
>>
>> I'll work on fixing the out-of-my-tree compile for 4.20 today, as well as do
>> a quick test on 4.19 to see if I see that error below.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
> Hi Ben,
>
> A huge amount of then continuously:

I updated ath10k-ct (commit-id:  be5c21a82b15d28991500a28f7b2b6840356281f)

I fixed part of the issue with 4.20 not compiling in openwrt, but the other part appears to be
a backports issue, and I did not attempt to get that working.

I tested my 4.19 kernel and it had a WARN_ON about a chan-def, but I don't think that
is what you reported earlier...maybe it is worth trying 4.19 on the commit
above.

IBSS is flakey in that it seems sometimes I get one-way communication,
but I do not see excessive SWBA log spam.  It runs fast when it works.

I used 'open' auth, possibly things are worse with encryption.

I have some tx-path debugging I can enable to try to understand the one-way
communication issues, but I don't have time to deal with it right now.

 From my IRC comments:

  I tested 9880 IBSS on my 4.20 kernel, first time I associated, I got one way traffic, but after resetting a node, I see bi-dir traffic around 170Mbps one
direction, 317Mbps the other (UDP)
<greearb_> I  see a few SWBA messages, but not many
<greearb_> SWBA appears to happen when WMI communication is being slow...  You might could enable HTC credit logging and/or WMI logging to better understand why
that is happening (credits slow to be returned, very large number of on-going WMI messages, etc)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>