[OpenWrt-Devel] Lots of core packages fail in phase2(?) buildbot - maybe due to lua changes?

Hannu Nyman hannu.nyman at iki.fi
Wed Jul 3 00:59:42 EDT 2019

Based on forum discussion at
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/errors-when-using-image-builder-for-ipq806x/39992

I looked at the packages buildbot faillogs for OpenWrt master and the package
download directories, and noticed that quite a lot of the core OpenWrt
packages fail to build in the buildbot at the moment, like ubox, ubus,
firewall, uci, netifd... and they are also missing from the snapshot download
directories.

Example failllogs:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/faillogs/arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/base/

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/faillogs/mips_24kc/base/

Many of the error are CMake errors referrefing into ubox related stuff, like:

UBUS:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
blob_library
     linked by target "cli" in directory /builder/mips_24kc/build/sdk/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/ubus-2018-10-06-221ce7e7
     linked by target "ubusd" in directory /builder/mips_24kc/build/sdk/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/ubus-2018-10-06-221ce7e7
     linked by target "server" in directory /builder/mips_24kc/build/sdk/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/ubus-2018-10-06-221ce7e7/examples
ubox_include_dir

Netifd has a somewhat clear reason for failure:

In file included from /builder/mips_24kc/build/sdk/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/netifd-2019-06-15-9932ed02/main.c:22:0:
/builder/mips_24kc/build/sdk/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/netifd-2019-06-15-9932ed02/netifd.h:23:10: fatal error: libubox/uloop.h: No such file or directory
  #include <libubox/uloop.h>
           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

The single-package errors are non-fatal in the phase2 buildbot, so these have
not surfaced earlier. And this apparently does not impact the phase1
buildbot, which apaprently seems to compile the packages ok and include them
in the firmware images.

Based on that I am unsure if this is about phase2 buildbot trying to build
packages that it shouldn't, or something else.

I can't see anything obvious in the commit logs in the past few days that
could have caused this. One possibiility is still the scripts/config change
two weeks ago, which affected dependency calculations.

Hmmm.

While writing this, I noticed that while other packages seem to fail mainly
for ubox related reasons, libubox itself seems to fail due to lua related
stuff. Maybe the lua / lua5.1 rename and version inclusion in the packaged
file names is causing havoc. cc'ing rmilecki

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/faillogs/arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/base/libubox/compile.txt

Reference to commit:

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe59b46ca7e0716e030a5d7cb0da9b4b6a79a8f4