[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC]split DEVICE_TITLE in multiple variables

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Tue Jul 2 13:01:56 EDT 2019

Hi all,

some days ago I wrote this proposal[0] to split DEVICE_TITLE in
DEVICE_VENDOR, DEVICE_MODEL and DEVICE_VARIANT (holding revisions and
storage sizes if applicable).

I extended the image.mk to to use the newly introduced variables if
DEVICE_TITLE is empty, meaning it can be used as a drop in.

   DEVICE_TITLE = $$(DEVICE_VENDOR) $$(DEVICE_MODEL)$$(if $$(value
DEVICE_VARIANT), $$(DEVICE_VARIANT))

This simplifies and unifies the DEVICE_TITLE creation and introduces the
possibility to search and sort devices based on vendor etc. A proof of
concept is available here[1].

In future PRs I'd rework existing targets (not only ath79 as in [0]) and
suggest developers adding new devices to use DEVICE_MODEL rather than
the full DEVICE_TILE in their patches.

I'd be happy to hear some comments!

Best regards,
Paul