[OpenWrt-Devel] lantiq: Netgear DM200 kernel too large

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Jan 22 09:23:53 EST 2019

Thomas Nixon <tom at tomn.co.uk> writes:
> On 1/21/19, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>
>> I wonder about those better options...  What are they?
>
> In the UK at least BT OpenReach modems are available very cheaply second hand
> and are in theory a bit better, for a few reasons.

I only found this when googling: https://openwrt.org/toh/bt/vg3503j

And that looks like similar hardware, only with less RAM.  What am I missing?

> I'm not sure if all of them can run openwrt, but after some reflection I'm not
> that concerned by this. They will do PPPoE so you don't really need to touch
> them, and you can consider them to be outside your network.

I am sorry, but I do not buy this argument.  Sure, I can (and do) run
OpenWrt on more capable routers in my network.  But I still want to run
OpenWrt on the standalone VDSL2 modem too. And the DM200 looks like the
best option for the forseeable future.

Yes, I know proprietary solutions exist.  I am using one of those right
now (broadcom based).  Of course it does sort of work. But the
management sucks.  The configuration is a mess.  There is no snmp
support.  And the kernel is from the stone age.  Sure, I can close my
eyes and consider it outside my network.  But if I have a choice, then I
prefer replacing it with a proper OpenWrt device with sane management,
less bugs, and the possiblity of actually having more bugs fixed than
added.

FWIW, PPP support is irrelevant to me. My IP sessions are terminated on
more capable routers anyway.  And only one of the sessions is PPPoE.

Bjørn