[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC 6/6] grub2: add preinit hook for bootloader upgrade

Dustin Howett dustin at howett.net
Thu Jan 17 00:02:09 EST 2019

I'm somewhat apprehensive about this applying to all targets that consume GRUB2.

On x86 and x86_64 images, I believe sysupgrade lays down every
partition in the image over its equivalent already on the device.
Since the bootloader (MBR, presumably, for most x86 targets) lives in
the early part of the disk and chain-loads the later phase, does it
not suffice to update the grub2 core module on the boot patition?

A few questions, though:

* Should the grub2 install changes be part of a variant, or a
target-specific flag?
* Is reinstalling the bootloader after sysupgrade dangerous?
  * If there is a target that doesn't support BIOS boot, could using
grub-bios-setup cause problems for it?

Sorry if this message comes up out-of-order. I wasn't previously
subscribed to the list, and I have tried to craft the reply properly .
. .

Thanks,
-d