[OpenWrt-Devel] flock clash with msmtpq-ng-mta

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Mon Jan 7 16:57:33 EST 2019

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 03:54:52AM -0500, Daniel F. Dickinson wrote:
> On 2019-01-04 2:14 a.m., Marcel Telka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After upgrade from LEDE 17.01.4 to OpenWrt 18.06.1 I noticed that
> > mailq from
> > the msmtpq-ng-mta package no longer works:
> >
> So I have bad news -- I'm upstream and I deprecated / abandoned the
> msmtpq-ng as a bad idea.  I could probably be convinced to bring it back
> if there were use cases that actually made sense (what I realized is
> that the queuing was of limited use on flash system because a reboot
> loses all queued messages anyway in the default (RAM) config, and I
> wouldn't want to queue onto flash for limited writes concerns).  If
> there was a good case I think I'd fixup the shell script only until I
> had replaced it with a decent C implementation of a similar concept
> (preferably using a reasonably small smtp library to do avoid
> reinventing the wheel).

Okay, thanks for the info.

My use case is simple: I have a site (small household) with only one device
running all the time (a cheap openwrt router).  I would like to run some
non-critical cron jobs on the router and I'd like to get email notifications
from them once completed.  I found that simple mail queue support as provided
by msmtpq-ng-mta is good enough to cover rare internet connection issues.  I do
not need to have a bullet proof system with zero lost mails, so in-RAM queue is
good enough.  When I did my research few years back to find the best solution I
just found msmtpq-ng-mta and started to use it.  It perfectly fits my needs.  A
possible solution with added some small additional device (like a Raspberry Pi)
is just an overkill for this use case and cannot be reasonably justified.

Is there any other simple solution that could be used for sending mails,
preferably with simple queuing support, and with ability to submit mails using
TLS and SMTP AUTH?

Thanks.