[OpenWrt-Devel] Random PARTUUID on every rebuild

Petr Štetiar ynezz at true.cz
Mon Feb 18 15:24:45 EST 2019

R. Diez <rdiezmail-openwrt at yahoo.com> [2019-02-18 20:27:55]:

> Besides, like I mentioned in my first mail, this random PARTUUID is an
> obstacle for repeatable builds. In my opinion, repeatable builds is a
> desirable goal. It can help troubleshoot some problems, but it is especially
> interesting from a security point of view. Two independent parties can
> verify that a binary was created from the stated sources. This particular
> UUID issue is listed here as a problem:
>
> https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/system-images/

Well, one can notice following on IRC:

 -KGB-1:#openwrt-devel- https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/openwrt/openwrt_ramips.html has been updated.
  (0% images and 99.8% packages reproducible in our current test framework.)

So I would say, that it's just lack of resources, rather then lack of
interest or lack of awareness.

> However, you did not actually give a reason why this OpenWrt PARTUUID has to
> be random at build time.

Simply I just don't know all the details, to give you such answer.  I tend to
believe, that it's named UUID for a reason.

-- ynezz