[OpenWrt-Devel] ath9k: fix dynack in IBSS mode

Lorenzo Bianconi lorenzo.bianconi at redhat.com
Sun Aug 18 11:39:08 EDT 2019

> >> Hi Joe,

> >> Have you initialized the ackto to the max value to remove wpa_supplicant
> >> dependency or because the system is not able to trigger the 'late ack'?
> >> I did not get why you need to flip the algo off/on when new 802.11 adhoc
> >> neighbor joins
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Lorenzo
> >>
> > initialized the ackto to max:
> >
> > A) avoidance of late-ack state
> > B) not require wpa_supplicant  -- not in use by our community today
> > C) Suspect some conditions, e.g. low SNR Neighbors, do not trigger
> > "late ack" (consistent, with observation of low SNR Neighbors sticking
> > at max ack_to with my changes )
> >
> > flip the algo off/on when new neighbor joins:
> >
> > Intended technique to reset ack_to to max.  If ack_to is set to 20km
> > and then a new adhoc neighbor joins at 30km, this would be a late ack
> > state, and unable to detect.    My early testing results showed the
> > algo off/on would restart the ack_to to max and start the process over
> > with the new neighbor.   I trust I got it right?
> >
> > There are 10s to 100s of users testing this bleeding edge change from
> > nightly builds, and so far, I've not found a failure case.
> > Although, the findings are showing the cases where static setting has
> > better throughput.
> >
> > Joe AE6XE
> >

> <snip>
>
> Lorenzo,

Hi Koen,

> It's been a while regarding the above.
>
> I can confirm the issue that if the algorithm misses the late ack's due
> to low initial snr, the initial ack_to is too low to recover afterwards.

are you referring to tx side or rx side? are you able to reproduce the
issue with debug enable?
I guess the system will resend the assoc request/response packets so
eventually we should be able tack the 'late ack'

> Do you think it would be useful to start at high ack_to and let it
> estimate/drop afterwards?

I think we can add more logic to take care of this issue but first I
would have a clearer idea of the problem

> Ps.
>
> I've got my 24km link back if required to do some additional testing.

cool :)

Regards,
Lorenzo