[OpenWrt-Devel] Review and cleanup of base packages

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Sun Aug 11 05:16:12 EDT 2019

Hey Petr,

find some comments inline.

10/08/2019 11:58, Petr Štetiar:
> Hi,
>
> one of the topics discussed during recent Hamburg meeting was "Review base
> packages"[1], where we simply talked about:
>
>   * lack of formal definition for a base package
>   * transfer of base packages which don't fit formal definition into feeds
>
> So, how can we define which package should be included in the base/master
> tree? (Any idea where to put this on the wiki?)
>
>   * package is needed by device in order to
>     - build the image and flashing tools
>     - boot device into usable state
>   * package is convenient for development (gdb, perf, strace, valgrind etc.)
>     - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
>   * it's convenient for testing (ct-bugcheck, fbtest, spidev_test, iperf3 etc.)
>     - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
>   * package is needed for automatic testing
>     - couldn't one just symlink/install those packages from feeds?
>   * it's not possible to build the package and/or tooling out of the tree
>
> For the initial discussion, I've simply created a list of packages which are
> not used by any target, so probably possible candidates for transfer into the
> feeds:
>
>   boot/kexec-tools
>   devel/gdb
>   devel/perf
>   devel/strace
>   devel/trace-cmd
>   devel/valgrind
>   firmware/am33x-cm3
>   firmware/amd64-microcode
>   kernel/avila-wdt
>   kernel/gpio-nct5104d
>   kernel/leds-apu2/src
>   kernel/rtc-rv5c386a
>   kernel/rtl8812au-ct
>   kernel/trelay
>   kernel/w1-gpio-custom
>   libs/libbsd                       (lldpd)
>   libs/libconfig
>   libs/libevent2                    (lldpd)
>   libs/libnetfilter-cthelper
>   libs/libnetfilter-cttimeout
>   libs/libnetfilter-log
>   libs/libnetfilter-queue
>   libs/libroxml
>   libs/libusb-compat
>   libs/nghttp2                      (curl)
>   libs/popt
>   network/config/ltq-vdsl-app

At least this one is referenced in target/linux/lantiq/xrx200/target.mk

>   network/config/qos-scripts
>   network/config/vti
>   network/config/vxlan
>   network/config/xfrm
>   network/ipv6/464xlat
>   network/ipv6/6in4
>   network/ipv6/6rd
>   network/ipv6/6to4
>   network/ipv6/ds-lite
>   network/ipv6/map
>   network/ipv6/thc-ipv6
>   network/services/igmpproxy
>   network/services/ipset-dns
>   network/services/lldpd
>   network/services/omcproxy
>   network/services/openvpn-easy-rsa
>   network/services/openvpn
>   network/services/relayd
>   network/services/samba36
>   network/services/umdns
>   network/services/wireguard
>   network/utils/curl
>   network/utils/dante
>   network/utils/iftop
>   network/utils/iperf3
>   network/utils/iperf
>   network/utils/iproute2
>   network/utils/ipset
>   network/utils/iputils
>   network/utils/iwcap
>   network/utils/owipcalc
>   network/utils/tcpdump
>   network/utils/umbim
>   network/utils/wpan-tools

Personally I prefer to have some debug tools I use regularly, like
tcpdump, iftop and iperf*, in the base packages. During development I
don't include the feeds.

Rather I would like to see the tool "io", which allows memory/register
manipulation, included in the base packages. Quite handy tool during
driver debugging/development.

>   system/rpcd
>   system/zram-swap
>   utils/ct-bugcheck
>   utils/fbtest
>   utils/fritz-tools

The fritz-tools "meta" package provides the fritz-tffs package, which is
included at least by target/linux/lantiq/Makefile.

Regards
Mathias