[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt 19.01 plans

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Sep 29 04:57:45 EDT 2018

Dear Jérôme,

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 10:53, Jérôme Benoit <jbenoit100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le 28/09/2018 à 18:55, Rosen Penev a écrit :
>>
>> So in kernel 4.17 I believe landed flow offloading support. This accomplishes something similar to SFE while being a proper upstream solution. This is already implemented in OpenWrt.
>
> flow offloading for NAT is different from SFE :
>
> In the first case, you offload the NATing algorithm work to the hardware
> that support it, which narrow a lot the supported targets.
> In the second case, you optimize the NATing algorithm Linux kernel
> implementation for all targets, it's a software and generic optimization.

	As far as I can tell, SFE ans friends gain their speed advantage mainly by being less generic that the main kernel, so speaking of an optimization seems problematic. Because the reached better routing/NATing/whatever typically is quite fickle and might for example not be compatible with traffic shaping...

Best Regards
	Sebastian