[OpenWrt-Devel] project: online image and sysupgrade builder

Paul paul at makrotopia.org
Tue Sep 4 16:32:17 EDT 2018

Hi all,

some time ago I stumbled over the two difficulties for new users:

* Finding the initial firmware to flash a router
* Upgrade a modified image without reinstalling all packages

For this reason I created an *image on demand server*[0] which fetches
ImageBuilders and creates the desired image, allowing the modification
of installed packages and uci-defaults (if desired) via a simple API[1].
The images are build within seconds and offered to the user.

While the project was initially created to simplify sysupgrades the
service is mostly used with a *online ImageBuilder* fronted[2]. About
3000 firmware images where created over the last 6 month (some database
resets dilute the statistics).

I was wondering if this service could eventually become somewhat
officially used. It offers a great simplification for user to get
started with OpenWrt and also keep devices up to date.

Next steps would be two allow multiple builders in parallel [3] and use
ucert [4] to establish a trust chain. While build logs already contain
all required information to "rebuild" (and verify) the image locally,
sqaushfs needs to become reproducible[6] before it makes real sense.

Please share your thoughts regarding this project, I'd be happy to
receive some feedback!

Sunshine,
Paul

[0] https://github.com/aparcar/attendedsysupgrade-server