[OpenWrt-Devel] Regression in handling power cuts since 3a1e819b4e80 ("ovl: store file handle of lower inode on copy up")

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Mon Oct 22 04:26:29 EDT 2018

Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2018, 09:14:08 CEST schrieb Rafał Miłecki:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 14:31, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since OpenWrt switch from kernel 4.9 to 4.14 users started randomly
> > reporting file system corruptions. OpenWrt uses overlay(fs) with
> > squashfs as lowerdir and ubifs as upperdir. Russell managed to isolate
> > & describe test case for reproducing corruption when doing a power cut
> > after first boot.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > Can I ask you to check if there is something possibly wrong with the
> > above ovl commit? Or does it expose some problem with the ubifs? Or
> > maybe the whole UBI?
> >
> > FWIW testing above commit (and one before it) always results in single
> > error in the kernel log:
> > [   14.250184] UBIFS error (ubi0:1 pid 637): ubifs_add_orphan: orphaned twice
> >
> > That UBIFS error doesn't occur with 4.12.14. Unfortunately it's
> > impossible to cleanly revert 3a1e819b4e80 from the top of 4.12.14.
>
> Let me provide a summary of all relevant commits & tests:
>
> By "Corruption" I mean file system corruption after power cut

Well, is the filesystem not consistent anymore?
From what Russel explained to me, I thought the main problem is that no write back happens.
IOW the inode is present, has correct length, but no content is there (all zeros).

Just like the typical case where userspace does not fsync.
But in your case sooner or later write back should have happened because the writeback timer
fires at some point.

Thanks,
//richard