[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:20:06 EST 2018

Hello,

There are a significant amount of devices out there that has 4/32
specs. Even brand new ones.
If there is stability issues with newer OpenWrt versions on those
devices, we should rethink LEDE EOL.

Maintenance burden is directly related to the amount of software to
maintain. At the same time, low specs means they might have no
interest in most packages.
Maybe 15.05 life could be extend with a lower cost by limiting
maintenance to a subset of packages (core? even less?). We could
release LEDE 15.05.(x+1) LTS with feeds configured to use only that
subset of packages. We could also limit the images to those low spec
models.

EOL is not really a big deal until it requires a new HW. Routers are
things that die hard, even after a decade. It just doesn't seem right
to turn old working hw into electronic waste because of software.
Keeping old stuff running is even on of the reasons to use OSS.