[OpenWrt-Devel] brcm2708: add kernel 4.14 support

Stijn Tintel stijn at linux-ipv6.be
Mon Nov 12 10:55:12 EST 2018

On 12/11/18 15:26, Alexandru Ardelean wrote:
> Hey,
Hi, please don't top-post :-)

> The lan78xx stuff you removed seems to cause some endless prints like this:
> ** 10 printk messages dropped ** [ timestamp ] lan78xx 1-1.1.1:1.0
> eth0: kevent 4 may have been dropped
I'll add the lan78xx patches again.

> This happens shortly after booting up.
>
> I tested on a RPi 3 Model B+.
> The kernel is 32bit .
>
> [Related to RPi] The RPi kernel seems a bit hard to maintain in the
> OpenWrt tree, because if you pull patches from the RPi github tree
> (branch rpi-4.14.y) you need to periodically check & update them.
> I tried to keep a 4.14 of OpenWrt in my own tree, and it's a pain to
> maintain [just for my personal need].
> Every couple of 4.14.xxx bumps, some of the patches don't apply
> anymore, because some of them are too big [thrown in], and conflict
> with upstream stuff.
> So, if going forward with OpenWrt + RPi [which I would love to see],
> this will be a somewhat hefty work-load.
The problem of patches no longer applying happens with other platforms
as well sometimes. Once we have kernel 4.19 support and 19.01 has been
branched, I would like to introduce a new target bcm283x and phase out
brcm2708. The idea is to use a vanilla kernel with as little patches as
possible,  and boot with vanilla u-boot. But to support the target at
all in 19.01, which will use kernel 4.14, I would like to push this to
master, and preferably sooner rather than later.

> Thanks
> Alex
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 6:37 PM Stijn Tintel <stijn at linux-ipv6.be> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just pushed support for the 4.14 kernel on the brcm2708 target to
>> my staging tree [1], and would like to get some feedback before pushing
>> it to master. It would also be nice if people could do runtime tests on
>> bcm2709 and bcm2710, as I don't own such hardware.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stijn
>>
>> [1]
>> https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/stintel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/brcm2708-4_14