[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Nov 5 15:31:27 EST 2018

Hi all,

We had a discussion about the future OpenWrt Roadmap in July here:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2018-July/000849.html

The outcome from my perspective is the following.

The next release would be done in January 2019 and named 19.01, this
release will probably have code freeze and get branched off in December
2018.
All targets included in 19.01 must use kernel 4.14, kernel 4.9 or older
will not be supported any more, kernel 4.19 will also not yet be
supported in 19.01.
The toolchain will use gcc 7.X, binutils 2.31.1 and musl 1.1.20, it
could be that we upgrade musl to 1.1.21, but gcc will stay on the 7.X
branch.
We already upgraded the wireless drivers to match what is shipped with
kernel 4.19.
OpenSSL should be upgraded to version 1.1.1 before the release.
The rest depends on what people are interested and merge into master
before the branch is created.

The following targets currently use kernel 4.9 and should be upgraded to
kernel 4.14 if they should be in the next release:
* ar7
* ixp4xx
* layerscape
	Someone from NXP said they will provide some patches in November.
* brcm2708
	I looked at the kernel patches from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
* at91
	Someone from Microchip already proposed some patches
* orion
* rb532

The next release after 19.01 would be planned for the summer or fall
2019, this release will be based on kernel 4.19, all targets have to be
upgrade to kernel 4.19 by then. This release will probably not contain
ar71xx any more, but only ath79 for these boards.

Support for kernel 4.19 will be added into OpenWrt master soon, but we
will not use it as a default kernel for any target before the 19.01
release is branched off.

Support for kernel 3.18 should be removed soon, we will move the targets
that depend on kernel 3.18 to the unmaintained target feed:
https://github.com/openwrt/targets
If you are interested in one of them, please bring them to kernel 4.14.

The LEDE 17.01 branch will be fully end of life in January 2019, I plan
a final release with the current git status and then it will not even
get fixes for severe security problems any more, currently it only gets
limited security support and all users are already encouraged to upgrade
to OpenWrt 18.06.
OpenWrt 18.06 will get security support till sometime in 2019, we
haven't decided about a date.

If you think we should do something differently please replay to this
mail, we can still change this.

Hauke