[OpenWrt-Devel] Testing packages (and images) under KVM/Qemu

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:19:25 EDT 2018

On 13/06/2018 22:08, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a baseline KVM machine description (i.e. an domain.xml file) for testing x86_64 images?
>
> I’ve spotted a bug in Busybox that requires some debugging to root-cause it, but I don’t want to do this on an actual production router for obvious reasons and I’m a little short on development hardware right now (waiting for the PC Engines APU.4B4 to start shipping).
>
> My KVM has igb interfaces, so I can do the igb-vf stuff which is more efficient than the other NIC emulation.
>
> That said, most of the testing I need to do isn’t performance sensitive… it’s more about verifying basic sanity after version bumps, applying new patches, etc.
>
> A x86_64 (or i386) profile specifically for KVM testing might also be handy… sort of like the armvirt target.
>
> Does anyone want to start a wiki page or discussion about testing under KVM?
>
> I figure that I’m probably not the only person to find himself in this situation… and a logical follow-on for CI/CB might also be CT (i.e. booting a VM image, configuring it, seeing if it responds to pings, passes through packets, etc).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Philip

There is an article about that, it's reasonably recent (there is a
walk-through using it on Debian 7.1) but it may not be plug-and-play.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/qemu#openwrt_in_qemu_x86-64

I don't know much about the topic myself, so I can't help much more than
this.

If you try it and find issues please update the article if you can.

-Alberto