[OpenWrt-Devel] kernel version status

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Mon Feb 19 01:41:47 EST 2018

On 18/02/18 22:43, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> The next OpenWrt release will use kernel 4.9 and kernel 4.14 depending
> on the target. All targets that are *not* on either kernel 4.9 or 4.14
> will not be included in the next release.
>
> I did some overview of the kernel version some months ago here:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2017-October/009446.html
>
> Here is the current situation as of today:
>
> The following targets are on kernel 4.14 and are fine:
> * apm821xx
> * archs38
> * armvirt
> * cns3xxx
> * malta
> * mediatek
> * octeon
> * octeontx
> * sunxi
> * x86
>
> The following targets are on kernel 4.9 and are fine:
> * ar71xx
> * ar7
> * arc770
> * at91
> 	There are some patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list
> 	waiting for response from author
> * ath25
> * bcm53xx
> 	patches for 4.14 are available in master
> * brcm2708
> * brcm47xx
> * brcm63xx
> 	patches for 4.14 are available in master
> * imx6
> 	There are some patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list
> 	which is being worked on
> * ipq806x
> * ixp4xx
> * kirkwood
> * lantiq
> 	patches for 4.14 are in Mathias Kresin's staging tree.
> * layerscape
> * mpc85xx
> * mvebu
> 	patches for 4.14 are available in master
> 	I would like to get this to kernel 4.14 by default soon.
> * mxs
> * omap
> * orion
> * pistachio
> * ramips
> 	patches for 4.14 are available in master
> * rb532
> * uml
>
> The following targets are on kernel 4.4 and will probably not be
> included in the next release:
> * gemini
> * oxnas
> * zynq
>
> The following targets are on kernel 3.18 and will probably not be
> included in the next release:
> * adm5120
> * adm8668
> * au1000
> * mcs814x
> 	I have patches which port this target to 4.4 in my tree, but
> 	nobody tested them.
> 	https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/hauke/staging.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kernel-4.4
> * ppc40x
> * ppc44x
> [...]

Hi Hauke,

I planned to make that list today, thanks for taking care of it !. I
would like to see ar71xx and ramips stay on v4.9, regardless of there
being patches for v4.14. I would also like to see ar71xx never being
bumped to v4.14, I spent a few days last week revamping my old ath79
port and would like to see a hard cut, moving QCA mips target to OF only
post release.

     John