[OpenWrt-Devel] Enabling initramfs images for PowerCloud CR5000 by default

Daniel F. Dickinson cshored at thecshore.com
Tue Dec 11 21:39:25 EST 2018

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to enable builds of initramfs (in
addition to the main sysupgrade images) by default for PowerCloud CR5000
(and possibly CAP324, but see note) and CR3000.

Previously one had to add a serial header to get these away from stock,
but I've poked away and discovered:

For CR5000 and CR3000 if one presses the WPS button for 5-7 seconds
while booting, the device will attempt to download 'ap.bin' from
192.168.1.10 via TFTP.  So with an initramfs there is a
no-soldering-required method to go from stock to OpenWrt, namely by
booting to an initramfs with the right mtd layout and doing sysupgrade.

I've not yet verified but I believe the same is possible with CAP324
only with reset button (it has no WPS button), in addition to the (for
at least some devices) a fallback stock UI which IIRC allows to get to
standard LuCI sysupgrade.

Regards,

Daniel