[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] kernel version status

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Apr 1 10:48:52 EDT 2018

The next OpenWrt release will use kernel 4.9 and kernel 4.14 depending
on the target. All targets that are *not* on either kernel 4.9 or 4.14
will not be included in the next release.

I did some overview of the kernel version some months ago here:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2017-October/009446.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2018-February/011308.html

Here is the current situation as of today:

The following targets are on kernel 4.14 and are fine:
* apm821xx
* archs38
* armvirt
* bcm53xx
* cns3xxx
* imx6
* ipq40xx
* kirkwood
* malta
* mediatek
* mvebu
* mxs
* octeon
* octeontx
* pistachio
* sunxi
* x86

The following targets are on kernel 4.9 and are fine:
* ar71xx
* ar7
* arc770
* at91
	There are some patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list,
	but it looks like nobody with the hardware wants to take care
	of them.
* ath25
* brcm2708
* brcm47xx
	There is a pull request with kernel 4.14 patches on github, we
	will probably stay with kernel 4.9 for the next release.
* brcm63xx
	patches for 4.14 are available in master
* ipq806x
* ixp4xx
* lantiq
	patches for 4.14 are available in master, we will probably stay
	with kernel 4.9 for the next release.
* layerscape
* mpc85xx
* omap
	There is a pull request with kernel 4.14 patches on github.
* orion
* ramips
	patches for 4.14 are available in master, we will probably stay
	with kernel 4.9 for the next release.
* rb532
* uml

The following targets are on kernel 4.4 and will probably not be
included in the next release:
* gemini
	There are patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list, we will
	probably get them in before the release and ship this with 4.14
* oxnas
* zynq

The following targets are on kernel 3.18 and will probably not be
included in the next release:
* adm5120
* adm8668
* au1000
* mcs814x
* ppc40x
* ppc44x
* xburst

This target is on kernel 4.1 (WTF):
* omap24xx

All the targets which are not on kernel 4.9 or 4.14 will probably not be
included in the next release, I also haven't seen any activity for any
of them expected the gemini target to get support for more recent kernel
versions, if you need them please take care now.

I am fine with the current status and do not see this as a blocker for
the next release, all important targets are on either 4.9 or 4.14, if
someone wants to see his target on a more recent version we are still
open for patches.

Hauke