[OpenWrt-Devel] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal V2

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Mon May 22 03:40:46 EDT 2017

Hi,

here is a V2 of the remerge proposal, I tried to fold all the comments
people made into it, if anything is missing let me know.

         John

*) branding
- the owrt side sees no option of using the lede brand
- a (minor) majority voted for openwrt as a name over lede whilst most
people said they did not care
- as the last vote had a 100% ACK for a remerge using the owrt brand is
the only feasible option

*) domain
- transfer owner ship to SPI for openwrt.org and lede-project.org
- add them to the pool of urls at digital ocean
- post remerge build a setup where we have several DNS servers in
various locations
- point git.openwrt.org at the lede git server
- point bugs.openwrt.org to the lede flyspray instance
- keep both wikis and forums as is (we should decide post remerge how to
proceed to avoid these issues blocking the progress)
- update the lede domain entries for build/download/rsync/... servers so
that the openwrt domain also points at them

*) SPI
- nominate a new liaison team (imre and john offer to do this, if anyone
else is interested let us know)
- inform SPI of the new liaisons, voters and project rules
- this should be done early in the remerge process s.t. the domains can
be handed over

*) github
- start pushing to the openwrt organisation
- cleanup the list of owners in the openwrt organisation
- obsolete all issues on the openwrt organisation and close the issue
tracker
- go through the open openwrt and lede PRs, pickup whats useful and
close the rest, asking people to repost (things wont be rebasable anyhow)
- close the lede PR tracker
- obsolete the lede github org after a grace period of 3-6 months

*) landing page
- add a letter of intent / notice to both current landing pages
announcing the remerge
- update the lede landing page to represent the openwrt name
- update the landing page to have the same look & feel as the current
openwrt landing page
- point openwrt.org at the lede landing page
- try to find some design guru that will transform the owrt theme to one
appropriate to this century

*) trac
- trac is already readonly, keep content so that search engines can
still find the it
- edit the trac html templates, adding a note pointing at the
bug.openwrt.org instance

*) email accounts
- currently there are around ~20 active openwrt.org mail accounts (the 3
owrt devs would like to keep theirs active)
- turn all the webmaster@, hostmaster@, ... accounts into aliases that
anyone with voting rights can be subscribed to
- ask those people that are no longer active to voluntarily give up
their accounts
- mail addresses may under no conditions be used for any personal
business, consultancy, applying for jobs, ... purposes
- any mail sent from an openwrt.org account needs to adhere the
trademark policy and should only be used for FOSS purposes

*) wiki / forum
- TBD
- asking in either forum/wiki will get a biased vote so keep them both
around
- start a separate discussion regarding these post remerge

*) LF
- find out what doubts folks have about LF
- find out benefits - we would have their hosting and sponsorship ?!
- start a separate discussion regarding these post remerge

*) git trees
- rebrand the lede tree to openwrt
- work out what has happened inside the openwrt tree since the reboot
and pick up the useful bits (zoltan has done some prior work on this
already)

*) mailing list
- ask david to add the openwrt-adm and openwrt lists
- send out invitation mails to the new list
- setup redirect/auto-reply for the existing lists

*) trademark/sponsorship policy
- review/ack imres trademark policy (https://openwrt.org/trademark)
- review/ack jows sponsorship policy (link pending)

*) timeline
- vote / agree on the proposal within the next week
- work on the action items in the 4 weeks after that

     John