[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC][netifd]: Support for 802154 devices

Abhijit Mahajani Abhijit.Mahajani at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 13 05:58:57 EST 2017

Hi Anatoliy, Xue,

Currently we have the lowpan configuration for Creator Ci40  at https://github.com/CreatorDev/openwrt/blob/ci40/target/linux/pistachio/base-files/etc/uci-defaults/config/network. And lowpan proto setup is done by https://github.com/CreatorDev/openwrt/blob/ci40/target/linux/pistachio/base-files/lib/netifd/proto/lowpan.sh

We have received a review comment regarding lowpan.sh in our first upstream Pull request (https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/95 which is obsoleted by a basic Ci40 port https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/201 superseded by )

> It would be better to put this into an extra package for example into
> the iwpan package, this will probably also work on other devices and
> should be used there.

so we are in the process of making it generic so that is up-streamable.
We are thinking of moving lowpan.sh to https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/tree/master/package/network/utils/wpan-tools and have lowpan mac address generation logic in a platform specific script and just call that in the lowpan.sh.

However currently we have channel, pan_id, ip address all statically stored (etc/config/network) in our case, and we pass these information to lowpan.sh to configure the wpan interface.
Comments/critics are welcome.

Sounds like our mechanism is similar to your option 1. Just that you are storing the configuration in /etc/config/wpan and we are storing in /etc/config/network.
So do you have any other mechanism to configure wpan interfaces? Or is it similar to our https://github.com/CreatorDev/openwrt/blob/ci40/target/linux/pistachio/base-files/lib/netifd/proto/lowpan.sh ?

Please keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhijit A. Mahajani