[OpenWrt-Devel] SHA256 hashes for packages

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Thu Jan 5 17:28:21 EST 2017

Hello Hannu,

why should a variable be called MD5 if it holds an SHA256 hash? That
does not make any sense.

Could you, please, point me to the thread on the openwrt or lede list
that discussed this weird idea.

Abusing the MD5 variable with SHA256 hashes will break compatibility
with older openwrt releases.

If you want an SHA256 hash, please, use an SHA256 variable.

This was already pointed out in
https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=326&order=id&sort=asc&order2=summary&sort2=desc

Anyway it is safer to use multiple hashes.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt