[OpenWrt-Devel] Howto/advice: Patch for variant of hardware platform?

Dana Myers k6jq at comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 21:57:45 EST 2017

On 2/22/2017 6:18 PM, L. D. Pinney wrote:

> spi-mt7621.c has bugs ... isn't very helpful.

I am a bit surprised you're not already aware of the SPI issues.

You can start here:

     https://community.onion.io/topic/1560/spi-pins-for-the-omega2/20

which links to another forum thread which contains this *very* informative
posting:

     http://52.76.69.244/jforum/posts/list/30/3683.page#12266

and suggested patch:

     http://52.76.69.244/jforum/posts/list/30/3683.page#12299

which is the basis of the patch I'm using.

> Please describe the problem?

berniwa does a much better job than me in the above-linked posting.

> Can I reproduce the same problem on one of my many MT76x8 devices?
> If so how?

I've only seen reports of  the issue on MT7688-based devices (LinkIt 7688, Omega2)
and I personally have observed it on the Omega2.

The easiest way to reproduce it is to attempt to send an SPI sequence
starting with the '10' bit sequence (first nibble of 0x8 .. 0xb). You'll find
the leading '1' bit is sent as a '0'.

I'd be somewhat surprised if the same issue wasn't present on all devices which
incorporate the MT7621 SPI peripheral given the likelihood that MediaTek
reproduces the same logic on every chip that includes the peripheral.

The SPI driver also exposes the transfer limit of 16 bytes, which berniwa's
patch addresses by breaking up a transfer as needed (keeping chip select
asserted).

> The MediaTek Linkit github is based on OpenWrt 15.05 using a 3.18 kernel.
> The patches needed for 3.18 vs. 4.4 or 4.9 will be quite different.

Understood; I didn't say that MediaTek was using the *same* patch, but that
this issue is present on all MT7688 devices and that MediaTek has incorporated
a patch for it. The patch I'm using is for 4.4, of course.

If you could confirm the presence of  the issue on other MT7621-based SPI
peripherals, that would address my initial inquiry indirectly if we could just
patch all instances of the MT7621 SPI build :-)

Cheers,
Dana  K6JQ