[OpenWrt-Devel] ath10k mesh + ap + encryption?

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Tue Sep 13 04:00:23 EDT 2016

Hi,

we have done some experiments last week on ath10k, trying to run mesh
(802.11s) and access point at the same time, both encrypted.

We have tested a recent LEDE (reboot-1519-g42f559e) but with
firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.42-2 and the included wpa_supplicant, which gave us a
working encrypted 802.11s network. However, starting an AP at the same time
didn't work (AP doesn't beacon). This wasn't a problem when 802.11s was
running unencrypted.

We also tested version 10.2.4.97 (from codeaurora), which is now default in
LEDE. However, this version apparently doesn't support 11s mesh at all
(WMI_SERVICE_MESH_11S is disabled in the service map, but cfg/mac80211
advertises support).

So here are my questions:

 * Did anyone succesfully run AP and mesh, both encrypted at the same time?
 * Do you have any pointers how we could fix this? Could it be fixable in the
driver (i.e. not in firmware)?
 * Does anyone have an idea if 11s will be supported in future versions? I
didn't find any changelogs, but having 11s mode no longer in the service map
does not make me optimistic.

Thanks,
     Simon