[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] RFC netifd: UCI parameter to sort name servers in resolv.conf.auto

Hans Dedecker dedeckeh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 08:49:15 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> imho it would also make sense to take any existing metric setting into
> account as well. At least I'd expect that if I have a wan1 with metric
> 10 and a wan2 with metric 20 that the DNS server entries "inherit" the
> same weight/order.
>
> So priority wise I'd first order by dns metric, then by interface
> metric, then by name - does that make sense to you?
OK I see your point; if the dns metric is equal for the name servers
the interface metric
is used as extra sorting criteria.
I would definitely like to define a dns metric parameter as you don't
need to define an
interface metric if you make use of seperate routing tables.
On existing configs using interface metrics this could to a change in
behavior as the DNS
server order can be changed when upgrading; this is acceptable ?

Hans