[OpenWrt-Devel] [OpenWrt] TR-069 for OpenWrt

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Fri May 27 11:20:37 EDT 2016

Jos and Dirk,

I'm delighted to hear that Technicolor is making their TR-069 solution open
source. When prpl proposed funding this work, I don't think any of us had
the sense of how many folks wanted to contribute in this area! Making more
code open source is always a positive in my book so bravo!

There do seem to be two areas of exploration here:

* Support for TR-069 and the various protocols details
* Integration into OpenWrt, including improvements to generalize the work
to support new protocols.

I think your idea for an in-person workshop is a great idea. While we were
planning on having a online meeting with the interested parties, I think an
in-person workshop is an even better idea. There's a lot of potential code
on the table and related projects to fund. I know from prpl's perspective
we want to make sure the result is valuable to industry and the community.
I don't want to put everyone on the spot so I'll contact individually
Felix, Luka and Wotjek and get their feedback (unless they'd like to
comment here). If everyone's in agreement, we can work out a time and place
that works well for everyone.

Thanks,

Eric

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Delbar Jos <Jos.Delbar at technicolor.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At Technicolor we have followed with great interest the recent proposals
> to enhance OpenWrt with an open source solution for TR-069 remote
> management. As one of the world's largest vendors of modems and routers for
> carrier applications, making use of OpenWrt in a significant share of our
> install base, we want to support this initiative in a meaningful way.
> Concretely, we are willing to open source Technicolor's in-house TR-069
> solution and thereby contribute to OpenWrt:
>  * a TR-069 protocol agent,
>  * a data model mapping framework that we use to bridge the world of
> OpenWrt, UCI, UBUS ... with the world of TR-069, TR-098, TR-181 ... (and by
> extension with the world of SNMP, MIB, NETCONF, YANG ...),
>  * a set of mappings.
>
> We are conscious of the fact that together with the proposals made by
> Felix, Luka and Wojtek we are now looking at many "competing" proposals. As
> a next step, we recommend to organize a workshop, at a practical location
> and time, where we put everything on the table and define the most
> appropriate path forward to the benefit of OpenWrt as a whole.
>
> TR-069 is a complicated remote management system and in order to make this
> initiative a success, we must ensure that the complexity is handled in an
> elegant way and with respect for OpenWrt's core architecture. More than on
> the protocol itself, we believe that we should focus on the architectural
> enhancements required to support remote management in general.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Jos Delbar & Dirk Feytons
> Technicolor

Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404
skype: ericschultzwi