[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt / LEDE

Zoltan HERPAI wigyori at uid0.hu
Tue May 24 17:57:05 EDT 2016

Hi,

> On 05/24/2016 10:31 PM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>> As it looks like the IRC meeting will not happen, because not so big
>> interest by the people not already involved in LEDE and problems finding
>> a time, lets discuss on the mailing list like suggested by Jow.

The point you are missing is that some of the OpenWrt core team is living
in a non-EU timezone. We can pick a PDT timeslot that won't work for
anyone living in EU, and say that LEDE is not interested in the
discussion, but that's just not the proper way.

>> Currently it looks like only Luka is working on OpenWrt as he committed
>> many patches from LEDE to OpenWrt, which is fine.

It is one thing that there are no commits currently from anyone, until the
OpenWrt/LEDE discussions are made.

>> What will happen to the OpenWrt project? To me it looks like nobody
>> except Luka is interested in working on OpenWrt. Are there any plans to
>> continue the OpenWrt project or will it just die, only nobody wants to
>> say it?

See above. We don't plan to play dead. Also, IIRC there are patches for
targets which are/were maintained by LEDE members. As far as I know,
commit rights have not been revoked (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

>> Currently this is a bad situation for people that want to contribute
>> patches because they do not exactly know were to contribute, some post
>> them just to both list which is probably the best solution for the time
>> we do not have a real solution.

Yes, there might be some confusion about this, we are still lagging a bit
behind due to the surprise fork. Luka sent a mail on some of the
planned moves, please refer to that thread. (Jow, thanks for the
buildbot-related number crunching.)

>> I do not plan to contribute much to OpenWrt any more and I do not know
>> if I can commit anything any more, at least it looks like I was kicked
>> from the openwrt-hackers mailing list without informing me.
>>
>> I would like to see a reunion of LEDE and OpenWrt, so do any of the non
>> LEDE but OpenWrt core devs have any problems with the LEDE rules and so on?
>>
> This is my personal opinion and this was not somehow internally planned
> with other LEDE people.

If I start a discussion about my employer-related topics along a beer with
a couple friends, that's a private discussion with personal opinions. If I
do it on any public channel, I can be felt to represent my employer on
that topic. You seem to be representing LEDE.

Regards,
-w-