[OpenWrt-Devel] [PROPOSAL] move OpenWrt codebase to Git and GitHub

Luka Perkov luka at openwrt.org
Tue May 24 10:06:13 EDT 2016

Dear OpenWrt mailing list readers,

as the subject says I'd like to make proposal to move the OpenWrt
codebase to Git. This was already discussed before [1] and now when
there are no blockers [2] for this change I'd like that we as a
community move forward with this switch.

Also, I'd like to propose that we move the project to GitHub and here
are the reasons why I see this as a good decision:

* GitHub will allow people to contribute more easily

The bigger amount of contributions has already happened and can be seen
on the packages feed which is already hosted on GitHub. With this I'm
also hoping to avoid comments regarding invalid patches on the mailing
list.

For now I am proposing that the current development workflow is also
accepted - aka. patches that are sent to the mailing list are also
accepted.

* GitHub and similar services will allow us to integrate more easily
with other projects

Here specifically I mean integration with modern CI. Here is an example
of integration with drone.io [3][4]. At the moment this is only in the
POC stage but what I'd like to do down the line is to:

 - build OpenWrt images for all architectures for every pull request

 - build OpenWrt package binary for every package pull request for all
architectures and make it available for download

 - build and host OpenWrt qemu and/or Docker image for every pull request

This will allow easy review of the work since flags will be shown in the
pull request if the build was sucessful or not. Also, this will allow
people to test changes without building the image and thus lowering the
time that needs to be spent on maintenance work.

If this proposal gets accepted I'll be sending out an email to get
access to more build servers so this new build infrastructure can
properly support the project in a timely fashion.

Please share your thoughts regarding this proposal.

Regards,
Luka

[1] https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-October/036390.html
[2] https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2016-May/041329.html