[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWRT ppc44x target & the APM821XX SoC

Chris Blake chrisrblake93 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:19:36 EDT 2016

Hi Imre,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:25 AM, Imre Kaloz <kaloz at openwrt.org> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 01:00:19 +0200, Chris Blake <chrisrblake93 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Quick Question about the ppc44x target. I am currently working on
>> porting over a PowerPC Device that uses the APM821XX SoC (464-based)
>> but the closest current target would be ppc44x, which seems to be a
>> bit outdated and lacks support for some system level integration
>> (LED's, sysupgrade scripts, etc.). I was able to get OpenWRT up and
>> running by creating a new device target for this SoC, but I was
>> curious on the best way to get this merged upstream.
>>
>> The device in Question is a Cisco Meraki MR24, which has a APM82181
>> 800Mhz SoC, 128MB DDR2 RAM, and 2x Atheros PCIe wireless cards. The
>> current working code can be found at
>> https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwrt-MR24 but I was curious on
>> which of the following is the best way to move forward:
>>
>> 1. RFC the current code (new device target for this SoC) for review.
>> 2. Create a new apm821xx subtarget for the ppc44x target, and RFC for
>> review.
>> 3. Other ideas?
>

> I also have some patches for the APM82181, which I can update to 4.4. Are
> you on 4.4 already?
> In any case, the APM82181 is a PPC464 based core, which isn't the same as
> the 44x so it shouldn't be it's subtarget.

Yep, currently my apm821xx target on the repo is based on the 4.4
kernel, and has a few small patches in place for the ar8035 NIC, and a
patch for fixing the Crypto driver for the apm821xx hardware. [0]

>> I am also aware of another developer working on porting over another
>> device that uses this SoC, so it would be nice to know which path of
>> action is recommended as other PPC targets (ex, mpc85xx) have been
>> branched out in the past.
>

> Apples and oranges ;) The rule of thumb is "as long as there are more
> differences than similarities, it should be a separate target".

Awesome, will try and get this all drafted as a proper RFC then,
unless you already have one submitted somewhere for this new target?

[0]: https://github.com/riptidewave93/Openwrt-MR24/tree/master/overlay/target/linux/apm821xx/patches-4.4