[OpenWrt-Devel] LuaJIT Vs Lua and other questions

Anton D. Kachalov mouse at yandex-team.ru
Thu Jun 30 11:39:39 EDT 2016

30.06.2016, 10:26, "Anton D. Kachalov" <mouse at yandex-team.ru>:
> Hello, Jo.
>
> 30.06.2016, 01:15, "Jo-Philipp Wich" <jo at mein.io>:
>>  Hi Anton,
>> [...]
>>  Overwriting existing packages with other packages having the same name
>>  from external feeds is messy and will always lead to undefined behavior,
>>  don't do that. What would probably work is packaging luajit separately
>>  and replace the existing /usr/bin/lua with a program like:
>>
>>  -- 8< --
>>  #!/bin/sh
>>
>>  if [ -x "/usr/bin/luajit" ]; then
>>    exec /usr/bin/luajit "$@"
>>  else
>>    exec /usr/bin/lua.bin "$@"
>>  fi
>>  -- >8 --
>
> This variant do not solve packages' dependencies problem. And I still need to somehow recompile (and disable mainstream "lua" first) packages with LuaJIT libs. Brute replacement works better in such case. I don't want to waste space for two Lua version in the system.
> Just a generic question – what is the obstacles to move from Lua interpreter to LuaJIT? There are minor changes in regexp's quotes. Other things seems to work. I've completely recompile stuff with LuaJIT.

Just look at the source of LuaJIT. It has limited arches support (x86, mips, arm, ppc). Might it be better to rename "lua" to "lua-interpeter" or so and make it provides "lua" and "liblua". Then do the same for "luajit". Thus we make can choose "luajit" when it available and not to break everything in terms of dependencies. From other packages' view, such virtual dependencies to "lua" and "liblua" might point either to lua-interpeter or luajit packages.

--
Anton D. Kachalov