[OpenWrt-Devel] Response to LEDE proposal/queries/mail?

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:51:45 EDT 2016

OpenWRT and LEDE/[OpenWRT] folks: I do not have any interest of my own in
seeing particular individuals take upon certain roles or getting
privileges. I am not friends with anyone here. In fact, this is my first
submission to this forum. With respect to individuals and their roles, I am
a disinterested person. However, I am very interested in seeing this
project succeed.

OpenWRT folks: whatever your response is, please do explain your reasons
when you respond. Silence is not your friend. When my kid avoids talking
about something or explaining something, I know that something is wrong. It
is in the human nature to look for bad things in silence or evasive
answers. Your honest, sincere and complete answers to the points raised in
this thread will go long way toward mending relationships and building an
effective team that spends more time on the development and less time
guessing who said what and who did what, or worse, politicking.

Silence or incomplete answers will probably be viewed by many people here
as signs that you may have some ulterior motives, other than the desire for
the project to succeed. Please do not allow us to think that you have some
agenda other than the desire for the project to succeed.

LEDE folks: so far you have done a better job explaining your reasons, but
what I said above applies to you 100% as well in all your future
undertakings. Please do care to explain your reasons, and please be
reasonable in your expectations. I understand that you’ve had enough of
grief and frustration and that was very likely the reason why you had
decided to create a fork. Please try to clear your mind of grief and
frustration now and please make an honest attempt to cooperate for the sake
of the OpenWRT/LEDE community at large.

None of us want to see OpenWRT/LEDE become another OpenOffice/LibreOffice
or Wayland/Mir story. These splits create huge amounts of waste and dilute
valuable resources.

On a personal note, I hope that the re-joined project continues as OpenWRT,
a name that is already well-recognized by many. I also hope that the
antiquated email patch submission mechanism finally gets retired. Github PR
mechanism is vastly superior.

Sincerely,
Val