[OpenWrt-Devel] Response to LEDE proposal/queries/mail?

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Wed Jun 8 05:59:41 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-08 11:12, Zoltan HERPAI wrote:
>> Which exact goal are you referring to? Imho a 'split' never happened,
>> everybody kept contributing to both projects.
> Let me argue with that:
>
> 2016-06-07: 08:59 Changeset [49379] by nbd
> treewide: fix replace nbd@… with nbd@… Signed-off-by: …
> 2016-05-30: 08:29 Changeset [49378] by rmilecki
> mac80211: brcmfmac: return -ENFILE if interface exists This makes …
> 2016-05-12: 07:32 Changeset [49377] by rmilecki
> bcm53xx: drop Copyright header from two of my bash scripts Both scripts …
>
> LEDE members should be more clear about their future plans with OpenWrt
> in light of this. As far as I'm aware (and that has been also told on
> here), no commit access was revoked.
Not speaking for any of the other LEDE members, I personally have been
reluctant to contribute to the OpenWrt any longer for multiple reasons:

* After the LEDE announcement, my email address was quickly disabled, my
OpenWrt developer IRC cloak was removed, and I was removed from the
non-open communication channels.
That made it abundantly clear to me that I was no longer being
considered an OpenWrt developer.

* Maintaining and testing both trees is a lot of extra redundant work,
and as not all LEDE project members have OpenWrt commit access the trees
were already drifting apart.

* I wanted to get stuff done quickly enough to see if our approach to
rebooting the community was working.

As for future plans: my own plan is to continue improving LEDE, bringing
in new members and growing the community until we've reached some form
of consensus of how to get the projects merged again.

The way I see it, what we've set out to accomplish with LEDE is working:
We managed to create an open and welcoming community, brought in new
people, fixed a lot of infrastructure issues and managed to improve the
code base significantly.

What are the changes that we've made that you would not consider
appropriate?

- Felix