[OpenWrt-Devel] Response to LEDE proposal/queries/mail?

Álvaro Fernández Rojas noltari at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:15:12 EDT 2016

El 7/6/16 a las 14:42, Zoltan HERPAI escribió:
> Daniel Dickinson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a few emails on this topic I thought better of sending, but I'm
>> sure I'm not the only one wondering why the remaining OpenWrt devs have
>> not responded to the various LEDE overtures on this mailing list.  Is it
>> lack of time, an unwillingness to attempt to have an honest and
>> reasonable dialogue in public, or something else?  I admit that for all
>> the furor over the fork, and complaints about LEDE lack of transparency
>> in the fork, I'm seeing a lot more communication from LEDE than from the
>> remaining devs, and am left to guess the reasons why (although with my
>> mechanism to help me avoid bad emails, I don't give voice to my tendency
>> to the less than generous suspicions, now).
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> May I ask you to point to which e-mail are you referring to? We are yet to see an official line from LEDE on what they want to see to happen in OpenWrt (setting aside the FUD some LEDE members have shown on the list). The IRC discussion did not happen due to being unable to work out the timezone differences, the conversation on the mailing list did not move forward - this is obviously an issue on our side as well.
>
> The official line - which I should have sent out a few days ago - from the OpenWrt team is:
> ----
>
> Felix's initial comment was LEDE to become a "development environment" for new ideas, and to keep OpenWrt as the standard distro. We have stayed away from committing to OpenWrt trunk to keep a clean sheet according to this, to let LEDE members cleanly and easily merge their changes. (Apologies to all contributors for not pushing their patches so far). Luka - as no objections but only praises were received - plans to do the proposed github move later this week, which will help with the workflow for contributors.
I think you're distorting Felix's words here (Felix correct us if we're mistaken), and making up an excuse for the fact that none of you wants to take over with the work that the so called former OpenWrt members did.

> What we would like is to:
> - Ask the LEDE members currently maintaining targets to update their targets,
This is a sensitive task, especially for those of us who lack commit access to OpenWrt. Moreover I'm not going to ask blogic, jow or anyone else to spend their precious time backporting my LEDE contributions to OpenWrt.

> - Ask the LEDE members to tell us about terms and wishes for reunite. Currently there is no official word from LEDE on this, which is quite confusing.
Do you really want to reunite? I haven't seen any official word from OpenWrt either on this matter... (dead end?)

> We will start merging the pending patches in patchwork this week to get trunk back into a healthy state while discussions are underway. LEDE patches will also be brought in where appropriate.
Glad to know this. Who's going to this time consuming work?

> Regards,
> The OpenWrt team
Please specify who the "OpenWrt team" is.
I think it no longer reflects the people stated here: https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/people