[OpenWrt-Devel] problem with uci delete <config>

Stephan Hennig sh-list at posteo.net
Sun Jul 24 04:56:24 EDT 2016

[moving to devel, since there has been no response on the users list]

Hi,

uci help has this on the delete command

> root at uap:~# uci
>
> Commands:
[...]

Which I interpret as: you can delete an entire config at once (and fill
it again with 'uci set' afterwards).  However, 'uci delete <config>'
returns an error:

  root at uap:~# uci delete network
  uci: Invalid argument
  root at uap:~# uci changes
  root at uap:~#

(And 'uci commit' doesn't seem to do anything.)

Am I missing something?

system:

  OpenWrt 15.05.1 CC
  Nanostation 5 loco

Background: Task is to deploy WDS bridge configuration on devices via
shell script.  Instead of managing separate (network and other)
configuration files for access points and stations that share many
identical lines and are therefore hard to maintain, the idea is to
deploy a parametrized shell script which builds configuration files on
the device in question.  Now, so that existing configuration doesn't get
into the way, the script should be able to remove, i.e., network
configuration, at once and rebuild it using 'uci set' commands afterwards.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig