[OpenWrt-Devel] Changeset 48456

Chris Marchesi chrism at vancluevertech.com
Fri Jan 29 00:39:51 EST 2016

Hey there,

I noticed changeset 48456, which reverts 48276, which I put in to get the
full 128MB flash on a WNDR3700v4.

Looks like the issue was the fact that it changed the location of
caldata_backup.

I had a few questions about this:

1) I did a bit more research and it looks like caldata is actually device
firmware data that is not touched by firmware updates/etc, is that the same
for caldata_backup, ie: it was added there by the manufacturer?
2) I'd imagine that if this is the case, then I should stop using this MTD
layout ASAP as well. What's the easiest way to restore the state of
caldata_backup after rolling back?
3) Given all of this, is there any real hope for getting the full flash
available on these routers for OpenWRT by default?

Looks like this has been a question that has come up more than a few times
- I referenced a thread in my original post but I found another issue from
the tracker here: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/17316. If it's not going
to be possible, maybe a note in the wiki or something would be a good idea,
so that there can be a final word on the question.

PS: Is there a page in the wiki that clearly outlines what caldata is and
its importance? I couldn't find it here:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/flash.layout

Sorry for introducing the regression!