[OpenWrt-Devel] Dissociate STA based on SNR

Nishant Sharma codemarauder at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 09:39:45 EST 2016

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to dissociate STAs who say go below a
minimum threshold SNR or signal level of say -65dBm in a multi-AP scenario?

As we do not run our OpenWRT APs with a WLAN controller, which can
automatically change channels or increase/decrease the txpower, would it
be a good idea to kick a STA off if it has low signal, so that it can be
forced to associate with another AP.

Reason being, I have observed that there are a variety of STA cards
which have their own algorithms built-in to consider the signal good
enough or poor enough to try and find another AP with same SSID, which
is beyond our control. Thus, STA hangs on to a poor SNR of say 17 but
wouldn't switch to a better AP available affecting the user experience.
As soon as I restart wifi on the AP, it goes to associate with another
AP with better SNR.

I do not have a lot of experience with WiFi, but yes, I do have
installed around 25 OpenWRT ath9k based APs in offices and warehouses
and this is what I have observed and am writing in to seek ideas and
suggestions from more experienced people.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nishant