[OpenWrt-Devel] Apologies

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Sun Jan 10 07:10:21 EST 2016

Hi all, especially John,

Sorry for all the mail about whitespace, it is just very frustrating
when things that I don't see the value in, and which I've not had to
worry about before, are the cause for rejection.

I understand that whitespace inconsistencies are a problem for git, I
also think that's more a problem than a solution, and creates more
hardship than whatever the supposed benefit is.

I also don't like it when the tools I have not only don't warn me about
the problem, but do annoying things like change whitespace without me
asking them to (I hadn't been use it much anyway, but emacs has become
the bane of my existence, for instance.

It's been quite some time since I worked on open source projects, and
the FOSS attitude to whitespace hasn't been part of my regime.

In reality I remain unconvinced of value of this particular issue being
the issue it is, and think that it 'the cause' more than it helps.

The truth is that outside tools like make that do really nasty things
with whitespace, whitespace shouldn't matter (and really that's a
failing of make).

The whole term whitespace stems from the fact that it should all amount
the same thing except under special circumstances.

Regards,

Daniel