[OpenWrt-Devel] Question Re: Sourceful SDK

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Fri Jan 8 03:14:38 EST 2016

Hi Felix,

I've been thinking about the sourceful SDK and have some ideas on how to
implement, I just want to clarify one point:

Are you thinking the SDK should be like the buildroot where everything
(including tools and toolchain) is built from source, or are you
thinking tools and toolchain (but not kernel, because that introduces
build_dir/staging_dir messiness) should be precompiled (so that the rest
may be compiled without much in the way of external dependencies).

I'm actually think OpenWrt's build dependencies are light enough that it
might make sense to do an entirely sourceful SDK, and completely skip
pacakaging binaries (except for the option of downloading and including
source archives).

With your recent target/linux commit this shouldn't cause any major
headaches, and the SDK can already generate the Config.in placeholders
that make sure both the base system and SDK are configured with the same
settings (e.g for kernel compile).

Actually I have to review the SDK and figure out why the kernel is in
the SDK in the first place (ImageBuilder those binaries are obviously
required, but the SDK I'm not sure why they're there, or if I'm actually
misremembering and there is no kernel in the SDK; if that is the case
then the whole thing gets a lot easier).

Regards,

Daniel