[OpenWrt-Devel] Kudos to Felix (some interesting numbers for ar71xx)

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Thu Jan 7 04:19:42 EST 2016

Hi all,

I thought I would give you some numbers from my system before and afters
Felix's changes, since they are such an awesome difference.

First info about the the system:

* 8-core AMD 4.0 GHz FX processor
* 2 x ~500 MB/s SSD in RAID 1 configuration (and it was  good thing too,
due to a cabling issue with one drive that showed up under load, fixed
now but it saved my bacon).
* VMWare Workstation 12.0 (because I have had far too many glitching
guests with Virtualbox but must use VB for work, and only VMWare
supports running Virtualbox in a nested hypervisor configuration); I've
had fewer guest glitches with KVM than with VB, but VMWare is better
with Windows guests (which are still a requirement, despite all the
hoopla about being able to do away with it).

* Build doesn't include any actual image generation
* Includes SDK & IB
* Includes only a minimal set of packages
* Against unmodified trunk in all cases.
* ar71xx generic with all profiles selected (i.e. not selecting only an
individual profile)

1) Old Rebuild with no changes for SDK, IB only build (no actual images,
and minimal package set)
time make -j9 2>&1
real    14m7.382s
user    46m47.500s
sys     10m30.111s

2) Rebuild with Felix's changes and other trunk changes for SDK, IB only
build (no actual images, and minimal package set)
time make -j9 2>&1
real    7m51.559s
user    12m7.056s
sys     2m43.478s

AFAICT the trunk changes only actually affected the rebuild of one
package I was actually building for t
his test.

3) Rebuild with Felix's changes present but no change from last build
for SDK, IB only build (no actual images, and minimal package set)
time make -j9 2>&1
real    7m25.962s
user    11m34.550s
sys     2m17.158s

That's an ~50% reduction in real time, and ~75% reduction in user CPU
time, with and additional ~80% reduction in system time.  Net CPU time
goes from ~1 hour to ~14 minutes.

It's pretty darn impressive, I'd say.

Regards,

Daniel