[OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Dec 22 03:36:52 EST 2016

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Dave Taht wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Kathy Giori wrote:
>>
>>> From a PR perspective, I strongly suggest keeping the term OpenWrt as
>>> part of the branding of the project moving forward. It can just be
>>> cosmetic (web site, etc.) but the name has so much history, and
>>> positive connotation, that you don't want to lose that brand attached
>>> to the development moving forward.
>>

>> I agree, I think this is an obvious choice to make. OpenWRT has a lot of
>> name recognition, it would be foolish to throw that away.
>
> Just to take the other side for rhetorical purposes, a purpose of a
> re-branding exercise is to show a change in the "product" or
> organisation behind it. OpenWrt is widely known... as a bleeding edge,
> sometimes unstable, somewhat hard to use 3rd party firmware. DD-Wrt
> and Tomato get a lot more press for some reason. So do things like
> Yocto. If lede were to succeed in meeting its other goals, coherently,
> preserving "lede" and moving forward as a separate project does make
> sense.

I'll point out OpenOffice vs LibreOffice and the fact that years after
development of OO has really stopped, people are still finding it and
downloading it instead of LO (it's replacement)

there's a lot of stuff out there pointing at OpenWRT, unless you are going to
replace all the OpenWRT stuff with pointers to LEDE, you are better off taking
advantage of the millions of references to OpenWRT.

David Lang

Yes, the name is pointing at a product that doesn't exist any longer, but Deb
and Ian aren't involved with Debian any longer either. At some point the fact
that a name is known matters far more than the historical reasons for the name.